Keeping you in the picture

Download our media pack

?Fridge? energy ratings for houses

Date 17 Sep 2006

Energy ratings similar those found on fridges and freezers will feature on every home bought and sold in England and June from June 2007, the Government has announced. Houses currently account for 27% of the UK's CO2 emissions.The Energy Performance Certificate will give home buyers and sellers A to G ratings for their home's energy efficiency and carbon emissions. It will reveal current average costs for heating, hot water and lighting in the house, and offer advice on how to cut costs with energy efficiency measures. From 2009, all homes for sale in the EU will have similar energy certificates.Housing Minister Yvette Cooper said: “Given the growing challenge from climate change and rising energy costs, I think people should be entitled to this kind of information about the home they buy. You can get this kind of consumer information on fridges and washing machines, so why not on a home where the emissions - and the savings - are so much greater? "By providing people with sound advice on how to improve energy efficiency this will help sellers and buyers who want to do their bit to cut carbon emissions as well as cutting their fuel bills too."The Energy Performance Certificate will be part of the Home Information Packs (HIPs) to be introduced June 2007. HIPs will be required by law, and will provide information on the condition of the house and survey and valuation findings. They will be paid for by the house seller, and be provided for buyers at the beginning of the buying process rather than at the end, to avoid sales falling through as a result of lack of information. HIPs are expected to cost around £600-700 plus VAT.

  • Post a comment
  • Send to a friend

Send to a friend

Add your comments

Fields marked (*) are required