Heritage Craft Alliance: Understanding and Building with Lime
This course will teach you how to use lime in buildings. You will learn how to identify the type of mix required, you will use various components to prepare specific mixes. You will learn how to grout and point walls using traditional methods and materials and how to build solid stone walls and solid brick walls using lime mortars.
Learning about Lime mortars:
· Types of mixes, sands, aggregates and additives.
· Where and when to use mixes.
· How to protect and maintain lime work.
Learning about pointing:
· Grouting using birds mouth funnel.
· Tamping and filling
· Finish pointing
Learning about walling:
· Setting out a corner for a solid stone wall.
· Build a random stone return wall.
· Setting out a corner for a brick and a half Flemish bond wall.
· Build a return wall and corner bond.
|Venue||Gayle Mill, near Hawes in Wensleydale|